How To Regrip Your Pickleball Paddle
Maintaining a solid grip on your pickleball paddle is essential for optimum performance on the court. Over time, the grip on your paddle can wear out or become slippery, negatively impacting your game. Regripping your pickleball paddle not only ensures a secure hold but also enhances comfort during gameplay. In this article, we will walk you through the process of regripping your pickleball paddle.
- Pickleball Paddle
- Grip Tape (preferably Overgrip Tape for better comfort)
- Isopropyl Alcohol or Grip Solvent
- Clean Cloth or Paper Towels
- Palms-O-Aces Grip Bands (optional)
- Prepare your workspace: Find a clean and well-lit area to regrip your paddle. Lay down a towel or a soft surface to protect the paddle and prevent it from getting scratched.
- Remove the old grip: Start by carefully peeling off the old grip tape from the handle of your paddle. Use scissors or a sharp blade to cut it if necessary. Take your time to remove any adhesive residue left on the handle.
- Clean the paddle handle: Wipe down the handle with a clean cloth or paper towel dampened with isopropyl alcohol or grip solvent. This will remove any dirt, oils, or residue, ensuring a clean surface for the new grip tape.
- Prepare the grip tape: Unroll the new grip tape and cut it to the desired length. Leave some extra length at the top and bottom to ensure a secure fit. Many grip tapes have a self-adhesive backing, making it easier to apply.
- Start wrapping: Begin wrapping the grip tape from the bottom of the paddle handle, overlapping each wrap slightly. Ensure the tape is evenly aligned and tightly wrapped to avoid any loose spots. Continue wrapping towards the top of the handle, overlapping each wrap as you go.
- Finish the wrapping: Once you reach the top of the handle, cut off any excess grip tape, leaving enough to tuck it securely under the final wrap. Smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles in the grip tape for a neat and comfortable finish.
- Secure the grip tape with Palms-O-Aces Grip Bands (optional): Palms-O-Aces grip bands are designed to hold the grip tape in place securely. Slide the grip bands over the handle, starting from the top and working your way down. Ensure the bands are evenly spaced and snug against the grip tape.
- Test the grip: Once the grip tape and band are in place, hold the paddle and check if the grip feels comfortable and secure.
- Allow the grip to set: Give the grip tape some time to adhere properly to the paddle handle. It is recommended to let it sit undisturbed for a few hours or as per the manufacturer's instructions before using it on the court.
Regripping your pickleball paddle is a simple and effective way to maintain a solid grip, ensuring better control and performance on the court. By following the step-by-step guide provided above, you can easily regrip your paddle using grip tape and enhance its comfort and durability. Additionally, the use of Palms-O-Aces grip bands will add an extra layer of security, keeping the grip tape in place and providing optimal support. So, grab your supplies, give your pickleball paddle a fresh grip, and get ready to excel in your game!
If it is time to retire your paddle, checkout our guide to buying your next paddle here.